If you’re like most people, you don’t think about your plumbing very much unless there’s a problem. If your drain starts running slowly or your toilet overflows, though, you’re suddenly very aware of your pipes. That’s when you’ll wish you had seen the signs before a crisis arose. So how do you know if your drains need cleaning, and how do you clean them if they do?
- If your drain is running slowly, there’s always a reason. The most common cause of a slow-moving drain is a clog, typically created by hair, grease, or soap. Don’t just hope it will go away and don’t use harsh chemical drain cleaners. Instead, try a plunger or a plumber’s snake. You might also try some baking soda and vinegar, followed by hot water. If you can’t dislodge the clog, it may be time to call in a plumber.
- If the plumbing has a bad smell, something is wrong. The smells may be sewer gases, or they may be an indication of waste sitting in your drains, but whatever the cause of the smell, deal with it quickly so that a larger problem doesn’t develop.
- If you keep having to clear clogs, you need some help. When you seem to constantly be unclogging the toilet or the shower drain, it probably means a major clog is on the way. Call in a professional plumber to fix the problem.
- Strange noises are a bad sign. If your sink or toilet is gurgling, there may be air in your drain. Consider the gurgle to be a signal prompting you to act. What do you do about the air in the drain? You call in a professional who knows how to handle it.
- More than one clogged drain means bigger issues are afoot. If you have multiple clogged drains inside your house, it may be a sign that there’s a larger problem. It may be a main sewer clog, so it’s important to call on a plumbing expert immediately.
Of course, one thing that will help keep your drains in good working order is to make sure you don’t put anything in them that will clog them, like grease or hair. When clogs do happen, though, you know who to call. Whether your plumbing problem is a clogged toilet, a slow drain, or some other aspect of your plumbing that’s due for a repair, you can trust Puget Sound Plumbing to get the job done right. For over 20 years, we’ve been taking care of business owners and homeowners in Seattle, and we can meet all your heating, cooling and plumbing needs. Family owned and operated, we provide superior service at affordable prices because our customers are our top priority. For help with your plumbing 24 hours a day, seven days a week, call (206) 350-0079 or contact us through our website.