Mold in a house can easily become a serious problem. Mold and mildew smell bad, look bad and can cause health issues. Even worse, this fungal growth is an indication of deeper issues. It could be a problem with your home’s plumbing. Let’s look at some common problems and how the right plumber can eliminate them.
- Leaks: Many factors figure into mold growth, but the most important is moisture. For that reason, leaks should be repaired as soon as possible to prevent mold growth. Unfortunately, homeowners often do not notice a small leak if it’s somewhere hidden, like under the sink. It’s important to make sure nothing’s blocking your view of the drainpipe and frequently check to catch leaks before they become a major issue.
- Damp bathrooms: Bathrooms are difficult to keep dry. They’re always humid and wet, and they’ve got poor ventilation. Leaks can happen around the toilet base, and the pipes connected to the shower can leak. The worst culprit when it comes to mold growth, though, is standing water. Keeping mold out of the bathroom means keeping the room as dry as possible.
- Basements: Like bathrooms, basements are dank places where mold grows easily. Additionally, a leak from the sump pump, drainpipes, washing machine, or other appliances can lead to mold growth.
- Hidden leaks: Leaks can lurk in your walls or ceilings, not making themselves known until substantial damage has already been done. Past flooding can cause water to linger behind the walls, too. Things you might not consider can lead to excess moisture, like poor insulation that allows pipes to freeze.
- Clogged drains: Clogged bathroom drains and blocked sewer lines can result in standing water in the bathroom, or a clogged pipe can cause water to leak into the floors, attracting mold. Clogged drains can also cause water to accumulate around the foundation.
- Poor plumbing: When something is installed incorrectly, it can result in a leak that goes unnoticed until you’ve got a mold problem. Then too, connections that aren’t sealed properly will eventually begin to loosen and leak.
To prevent mold growth, it’s important to partner with a reliable plumber. Knowing who to call as soon as you find a leak can make a world of difference. If you’re looking for an experienced, trustworthy plumber, call Puget Sound Plumbing. For over 20 years, we’ve been taking care of business owners and homeowners in Seattle, and we can meet all your heating, cooling, and plumbing needs. Family owned and operated, and we provide superior service at affordable prices because our customers are our top priority. For help with your plumbing 24 hours a day, seven days a week, call (206) 350-0079 or contact us through our website.