Many people only associate plumbers with drain cleaning and toilet repair. However, plumbers are also your go-to professionals for kitchen and bathroom renovations involving pipe installation and other plumbing work. Make sure your project goes off without a hitch by hiring reputable plumbers for the job. Here’s how.
- Make a plan: Plumbers are contractors that execute the designs you provide them; they aren’t designers that help you draw up your plans. If you need help with that part, hire a designer first to nail down the design.
- Get recommendations: If a friend or neighbor recently redid their kitchen or bathroom, and you love the results, ask what company they hired. Their experience can reveal what it will be like to work with that plumber.
- Request an estimate: Call up different plumbers in Seattle and describe the work you need to have done. Ask for hourly rates or project quotes, depending on how the plumber charges for their services. Don’t be afraid to ask detailed questions, such as if the customer is charged while the plumber waits for on-site delivery.
- Ask for a license number and insurance information: While it’s essential to work with a licensed plumber on any job, it’s especially critical for home renovations. Ask any plumbers you’re considering for the job to provide their license number so you can check it with the state. A license ensures the plumber has met minimum requirements, including passing an exam, having a certain amount of experience, and carrying liability and worker’s compensation insurance. Request a copy of these insurance documents as well before work begins.
- Request a written agreement: This should outline the work to be done, the cost of the project, materials needed, payment requirements, and an estimated completion date. Look for any work guarantees in your contract as well.
- Make the necessary preparations: First, you’ll need to obtain a permit unless your plumber completes this task for you. Then, buy your fixtures. Keep in mind that the plumber should provide the pipes and fittings. Finally, prepare the job site, so it’s de-cluttered, well-lit, and ready for the plumber to get to work.
- Remain on site: Schedule the plumbing renovation for a day when you can stay home. Don’t hover over the plumber, but remain within earshot in case any questions arise. You will likely speed up the project and garner better results if you’re around to make executive decisions.
Puget Sound Plumbing and Heating has over 20 years of experience helping Seattle-area homeowners complete beautiful home renovations. We are family-owned and operated with a reputation for delivering superior services at competitive prices. Your satisfaction is our top priority, which is why we guarantee all the work we do!
To learn more about our Seattle plumbers or to schedule home renovation services in the Puget Sound area, please contact us at (206) 350-0079.